Tips for Managing Dry Skin from Frequent Hand-Washing and Sanitizing
Guest Post by CosmetiCare Plastic Surgery Center and MedSpa
Washing your hands should already be a natural part of everyday life, but with the current flu season and increasing concerns about Coronavirus (COVID-19), the focus on personal hygiene is greater than ever before. The emphasis on proper hand washing is a healthy reminder to lather up after touching surfaces in public places or encountering others. But, this precautious extra hand-washing can be harsh and damaging to your skin.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), people should scrub their hands for at least 20 seconds to effectively reduce the spread of germs. As a secondary measure, alcohol-based hand sanitizers that contain at least 60 percent alcohol can also be used to rid your hands of germs, though it’s important to note it’s not as effective as soap and water. These healthy tips should be followed, as frequent hand-washing is a proven reliable way to ward off illness and maintain a healthy immune system. However, as mentioned, this can lead to and exacerbate dry skin issues.
Check out these tips from the team at CosmetiCare Plastic Surgery Center and MedSpa on how to keep both your health and skin safe.
- Watch the temperature of the water; try to use lukewarm or warm water to avoid over-drying.
- Pat dry, don’t rub dry. After washing your hands, gently pat your skin dry to better retain moisture.
- Use mild soaps and detergents; it’s important to know that soaps that contain alcohol strip natural oils from your skin.
- Be sure to hydrate! Drink more water, because your skin also receives comes from within.
- Give extra attention to your hands; hands show the effects of a dry environment more than any other body part, so be sure to apply a moisturizing product to keep them looking and feeling their best.
Our pro pick to help heal dry hands: Alastin Soothe Recovery Balm, a highly emollient formulation that hydrates dry and compromised skin, helps restore the barrier function of the skin and soothes irritated skin. We often recommend this product following cosmetic procedures because of it’s incredible strength and efficacy. During these especially dry winter months, we’ve found it to also serve as a lifesaver for skin that is cracked and raw.