Summertime Sides from Organic Kids L.A
Lazy summer weekends are around the corner. One of the cornerstones of this time are BBQ’s and with Father’s Day right around the corner, we are definitly inspired to get our grill on. One way to get get kids involved is to have them help out with the cooking. To inspire young chefs, we are sharing two summertime sides from Lisa Rotondi of Organic Kids L.A, a company that provides lunches to preschool, elementary, middle and high school students throughout the greater Los Angeles area. Read on to check out some of these awesome healthy and easy to create side dishes.
Organic Summer Succotash Edamame Salad:
· 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 medium organic onion, chopped
· 1 bag (1 pound) shelled organic edamame, thawed
· 1 bag (1 pound) frozen organic corn, thawed, or 3 cups fresh-cut organic corn kernels (from about 4 ears)
· 2 large ripe organic plum tomatoes, diced
· 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
· 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 1/4 cup minced organic fresh chives or basil
Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the edamame and corn and cook, turning often, until heated through, about 7 minutes. Stir in the tomato, salt and pepper. Let cool and then chill if packing in a lunch box. When ready to serve, stir in the chives or basil.
Organic Fresh Squeezed Lemonade
· Simple Syrup
Squeeze the lemon juice through a hand presser. Mix 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Boil the water and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Let the simple syrup cool.
Mix the remaining 6 cups of water, lemon juice, and simple syrup. Add ice and enjoy!
For more information, please visit: http://www.organickidsla.com